Emojis are fun, right? They can add a blip of color and a dash of personality to even the most boring email. Also, they can spruce up a social media post. On top of that, they can even convey certain messages and emotions better than words.
What if I told you that they could make a big difference in your click-through rates, open rates, and general engagement levels, that they could breathe life into your brand?
In this blog post, we’re going to cover why to use them, how to use them for business, and some popular combinations you can employ in your marketing. Let’s get started!
Why use emojis?
So, you know how to use emojis … but why should you bother? Isn’t it easier just to type out what you want to say? More importantly, aren’t they for teenagers and texters? Not quite. Emojis have been proven to boost engagement levels, click-through rates, and open rates.
Take a look at these statistics:
- Tweets with emojis saw 25% more engagement, and on Facebook, they result in 57% more likes, 33% more comments, and 33% more shares
- In a recent study, more than 50% of brands saw an increase in email opens when subject lines included emojis
- Push notifications with emojis saw 85% increase in open rates and a 9% bump in conversions
They convey what words can’t
Have you ever received a text message that ended with a period? Now, imagine the same sentiment expressed with an exclamation point or better yet, an emoji.
While emojis can’t necessarily replace words, they can definitely give them that little extra something needed to excite, persuade, or intrigue. They enforce the meaning of your message. They’re the cherry on top.
They give personality to your brand
Brands are more than the products they sell or the design of their logos. They’re similar to people, with personality and unique character, which helps consumers connect with and be loyal to them.
Using emojis in your marketing and communications gives your brand personality and identity. Defining and using that in your marketing can also help you boost your brand awareness.
Emojis in social media
It’s easy to toss an emoji or two into a tweet or Instagram comment, and you should. But how can you use them to intentionally drive engagement, click-throughs, and conversions? The answer is simple: Encourage your audience to use them, too.
Here are a few ways to add emojis to your social media strategy and encourage your followers to partake:
- Tell your audience to comment with an emoji
- Ask your audience to describe something using emojis
- Give your audience an emoji message to decode
It’s easy enough to include emojis in your social media posts, but telling your followers to use them too can help boost your overall audience engagement. They are easy to use and require little to no work on behalf of your audience.
Emojis in advertising
Most of today’s consumers, especially millennials, have had enough of the in-your-face, impersonal advertising. They respond better to subtle, personal and emotional messages. Businesses have learned that emojis can actually communicate a lot.
How can you employ emojis in your next advertising campaign? Here are some top tips.
- Make them relevant, and don’t force it. If an emoji doesn’t fit with your campaign or brand, don’t use it. Does your audience use them? Have you used them in other communications, such as social media or on your blog? They’ll be easier to immerse in your advertising if they’re a natural fit for your brand.
- Use them clearly, and don’t leave room for misinterpretation. Make sure you know the purpose of the emoji you’re using. Ask co-workers if they understand your message. Be absolutely sure your message communicates exactly what you want it to.
- Get creative! If your emojis fit with your brand, are used by your audience, and can’t be misinterpreted, have fun with them. Better yet, consider having your own emoji designed, too.
Here are a few quick and simple Do’s and Don’ts that will help you master emojis:
✓ Integrate your choice of emoji into email subject lines. Studies show that this can improve your open rate. This can be up to a 56% increase in open rates compared to basic text without one.
✓ Cleverly, creatively and subtly integrate relevant emojis into social media ads. Studies of Facebook Ads have been linked to a 30-40% higher click-through rate.
✓ Use emojis appropriately in social media posts. A simple heart has been shown to increase user engagement levels. ❤️
✗ Go over the top on emojis. Overuse of emojis is likely to overwhelm users, or come across as a weak replacement for good copy
✗ Use emojis with little to no relevance to the written content. It is not okay to add a unicorn emoji just because it’s cute if it doesn’t add relevance or value.
✗ Use emojis incorrectly. This is one of the worst mistakes a company can make. Be sure to double-check the meaning, if you are not 100% sure. This can save you a headache if you misuse an emoji.